Thursday, July 24, 2008

FRUSTRATIONS

Let me just start by saying this is a vent day. I am frustrated. I am frustrated with myself. I am frustrated with the church. I am frustrated with believers. Why am I frustrated? Probably for the same reason many are frustrated with me - we don't measure up. When pastors get frustrated, they are supposed to fix it. When members get frustrated, they vote with absence.

Why am I frustrated? God is doing so much, yet we get sidetracked by shortcomings. Our church is in the midst of a building program to provide space for some areas that God is truly blessing, but some want to complain. We have seen 12 saved in about a month, but some have their feelings hurt and can't rejoice. Our services were recently led by two college age men who are products of this church, yet some only see the negative. One of our own just went to South Asia as a Journeyman Missionary, but some are not moved. We have other recent graduates who are seriously considering mission service, but some say "what has the church done for me."

Yes, I am frustrated. Mostly by those who should be mature. Mostly by those who should be serving but are not. No, I guess I am mostly frustrated by me. How can I lead us differently? How can I lead us to renewal? And maybe I am just a little frustrated with God. Did I say that? Yes. "God, How long will you tarry?"

There, I said it. I vented. Got it out of my system. Now, go and have a nice day.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Donna said...

There is a great day coming!!!!!! A GREAT DAY INDEED!

8:45 AM  
Blogger Sharon said...

As you know, I too, have been venting in the passed few months. --So, dear pastor, vent on! If you have to listen to my frustrations, I'll gladly listen to yours.

--God has blessed us!! We as a congregation should come to His alter and say, "Thank you, Lord, for how good and gracious You've been to us."

What a wonderful harvest He’s allowed us to have. Our response should be one of feasting on His blessings. We need to declare a Thanksgiving Day in our church, a day to praise Him for all the good things He has showered down on us. What an awesome, freely giving God we have to bless us so abundantly. --Shame on me for my lack of joy and appreciation.

Sharon

10:31 AM  
Blogger ladybug1 said...

God Bless the South! People there have NO idea how hard being SBC is until you are the minority denomination in your town and have no money or support and have two thirds of the population Morman!! Tell them to put on the smiles and be grateful for what they have. We still don't even have a baptistry and most people here don't even know what membership in a church means! You know, you were our first pastor and we miss and love you dearly! Linda and David

12:05 PM  
Blogger Steve Young said...

Thanks to all. I have also heard by email from some who have brighened my day and lightened my way.

Donna - YES--There is a GREAT DAY COMING. We jus can't miss that there are some great things NOW.

Sharon - Thanks. I pray for you regularly. You and Paul have been good examples. You have experienced some things to "vent" about, but you always maintain the right spirit.

Linda - What can I say. I have been a pastor for 20 years (I started VERY young) and those years in Cody were indeed great. You know, some of the funest times (is funest a word?!?) were meeting in a storefront, Karate next door. We had nothing to do but trust God and really step out in faith. Regardless of our resources, we must walk by faith. Sometimes a little money, a building, etc., causes us to become a little too casual in or relationship to Christ.

3:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Steve, I hope for "dark night" sees the dawn soon. The reasons you listed are certainly worthy of frustration, but I hope you will be encouraged. You have been a great encouragement to me through the tough times of my life.

3:30 PM  
Blogger Steve Young said...

Frank,
Thanks for the words. It has been a long time since we were close to each other, but I value your friendship and your insight.

3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home