Wednesday, October 04, 2006

FOR THE MEN

I may be a pastor, but I am sure I struggle with the things that all men struggle with. Worth as a man, temptations, am I a good dad and husband? If I am the only one who struggles, I wish someone would enlighten me a little.

As a pastor, I do see how those struggles affect families. The church I serve has a strong Youth ministry, yet many of these teens come on their own. If they have a dad at home, they stay at home. I know that I learned a lot of my model of a Christian man from watching my dad and the many other men in my home church. Where are the models today?

I agree with Gene Getz that 1 Timothy 3 is not exhausted when it dealing with Pastors and deacons. These really are marks of maturity for all men. The most important may be the qualities that bracket pastoral qualifications - "above reproach" and "a good reputation among outsiders." We have seen men of postion in our own town suffer public failure, and now we see on a wide scale one of our government leaders brought down, reputations ruined. I pray that God will strengthen our Christian men so that they have a good reputation inside the church as well as outside the church. A solid reputation among their peers and among their families.
The hope of our church is for our men to be grasped by God in a new and fresh way, and I hope it starts with me.
Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home